The Salt Box house was constructed by Ebenezer Howe, one of the first settlers of the area. At that time the eighty-acre lot was part of Winchendon. Mr. Howe was one of the signers of the petition for incorporating the new town of Gardner.
The home was purchased by the Eaton Family and remained with them until the 1900’s.
The house was later purchased by furniture factory owner, Mr. Keyworth, at the turn of the century. He updated the house, barn, and landscape, including planting hundreds of Black Walnut trees.
A hurricane destroyed the barn that was rebuilt.
The house was bought by Herb Brooks, who added a sunroom and many gardens. He restored much of the interior of the house as well as adding a large breezeway and fireplace between the house and barn which was originally from Vermont. It was disassembled and then reassembled on site.
The house, barn and 9 acres of land purchased by the McTigue Family (Dr. Mike). The breezeway and barn were taken down and a new hospital was built.
The Gardner Animal Care Center opened in June.
The house was completely restored and used as office space.