History of the Land at 73 Eaton Street

1773

The Salt Box house was constructed by Ebenezer Howe, one of the first settlers of the area.  At that time the eighty acre lot was part of Winchendon.  Mr. Howe was one of the signers of the petition for incorporating the new town of Gardner.

1900

The home was purchased by the Eaton Family and remained with them until the 1900’s.

The house was later purchased by furniture factory owner, Mr. Keyworth, at the turn of the century.  He updated the house, barn and landscape, including planting hundreds of Black Walnut trees.

1938

A hurricane destroyed the barn that was rebuilt.

1950

The house was bought by Herb Brooks, who added a sunroom and many gardens.  He restored much of the interior of the house as well as adding a large breezeway and fireplace between the house and barn which was originally from Vermont.  It was disassembled and then reassembled on site.

1999

The house, barn and 9 acres of land purchased by the McTigue Family (Dr. Mike).  The breezeway and barn were taken down and a new hospital was built.

2000

The Gardner Animal Care Center opened in June.

2003

The house was completely restored and used as office space.